[mythtv-users] Mac-mini (intel) frontends - opinions

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 01:23:31 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, Justin Kim <justinlkim at gmail.com> wrote:
> SD runs well.  HD is jerky unless I turn off "scale video as
> necessary" in the TV playback preferences.  If that preference is
> unset (and nothing else is running on the machine), HD plays back
> fine.  Unsetting that pref makes SD video very, very small on my
> monitor, so the settings have to be twiddled when  moving from
> viewing HD to SD and vice versa.

For me, most HD runs fine, with the 'scale video' option enabled.
720p is flawless..  I'm currently watching NFL pre-season football in
720p on Fox, and it's great.   1080i video sourced material looks
fine, but I get jerky playback on some 24fps film sourced material.
It seems to be related to the video conversion, not a CPU limitation.

> I'm hoping that there's some room for optimizing CPU load on the
> mini.  If not, I'll probably end up dropping in a faster processor at
> some point.

The colorspace conversion routines are currently unoptimized (the
PowerPC build has Altivec optimized routines.  The Intel build could
benefit from MMX/SSE enhanced routines).
In all the talk about 'Core Video' in Tiger, there was mention of
being able to do more processing on the GPU, like de-interlacing.   I
don't know how realistic that is for MythTV usage, but it could be a
really nice option.

> I'm using a Gyration wireless mouse and keyboard to control the mini.
> No complaints on that front.

I use the Apple remote for some basic things,  and an ATI Remote
Wonder II for Myth control.