[mythtv-users] Graphics card recomendation

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 23:45:11 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, George Roberts <gr at gr5.org> wrote:

> >I have been able to tune to a channel using the dvb-apps and cat a
> >stream into a file and play it perfectly with mplayer.  It seems that
> myth
> >adds some overhead/optimizations that just push my PC beyond the limit.
>
> What is your cpu usage when using mplayer to play HDTV?  Is your screen
> resolution the same whether it is mplayer or myth front end or does your
> computer have to stretch/shrink the resolution?  What if you

mplayer (full screen mode): 60-65%
mplayer (windowed mode): 65-70%

mythfrontend: 95-99%

To clarify, my monitor is running at 1024x768 all the time.  These streams
were tested with PBS 1080i so in windowed mode, on the top-left portion of
the channel could be seen on the monitor.  So mythfrontend and mplayer (full
screen mode) will shrink the stream to fit on the monitor.  Does this make
sense?

are using myth front end, hit the A key and then the left arrow key once or
> twice?  Does that eliminate the pauses?  At what speed can your computer
> keep up?

The pauses are still there at 0.5x, but they're much more spread out.  At
0.5x there's about one every 1.5 to 2 seconds where as at 1x there's about
one every quarter second or so (much quicker than I realized before).  What
I'm tyring to get at is the amount of pauses do not simply stretch by
0.5xas well--there is an improvement.

I play 1280X720 screen res 1080i HD no problem with a nVidia 5200 on
> an Athlon 64 3200 cpu although myth uses typically 45% of the cpu and
> 350 MB ram.

I'm not sure how well our processes compare, do you have any idea?  All I
know is that mine was fairly good about four years ago.  But it's good to
see that you're not having any problems.

Oh, by the way, all of these tests were done without XvMC, did you want me
to try them with XvMC?

Thanks for the reply anyways,

Cheers,
Dylan