[mythtv-users] Need help with Analog spdif and IEC958 using ALSA

Ron Garrison ron.garrison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 18:51:24 UTC 2006

On 8/23/06, Gregg <3gemail at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having trouble with my .asoundrc file.  I have a SBLive.  I have
> ac3 passthrough working both with AC3 and non AC3 content through
> mythtv, but when I try to use a program like xmame I get choppy sound,
> and if I use snes9x i get no sound at all without opening alsamixer
> and muting IEC958.  Is there a way to use both analog SPDIF and IEC958
> raw at the same time?

 I'm a bit confused with what you are trying to do.  SPDIF and iec958 are
one in the same (iec-958 is the specification number for the Sony/Philips
Digital Interface - SPDIF).  The SPDIF data can be transmitted either over
an analog RCA jack or optically.  Is this what you are trying to
differentiate when you say "both analog SPDIF and IEC958", or are you
actually trying to use the analog outputs (not SPDIF at all).

Please tell us how you have things connected in your setup (i.e. directly to
your TV, through a receiver, etc.)

I personally only use SPDIF (optical) through my Yamaha Receiver- it works
for all.

Ron