[mythtv-users] System constantly locks up

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 06:54:14 UTC 2006

> 1) Testing memory with memtest86.
Yes - reported no problems.

> 2) Making sure swap space is available and is working properly.
I have 512MB of swap and it seems to be hardly used at all. It looks
like 64MB would have been more than enough.

> 3) Checking to ensure you have a clean power supply (maybe a UPS will help).
Haven't done that. It's plugged into a power outlet where there's lots
of other stuff plugged in like TV,  DVD, receiver, lamps etc. Maybe I
should change the socket it's plugged into. But would power cause
lock-ups - I thought it would just make it reboot?

> 4) Checking to see that all of the fans in the machine are working to spec
> (heat problem?)
Heat not a problem. I cut a hole in the case and installed a 120mm fan
to make sure!

Regards,
Phill