[mythtv-users] messed up after yum update

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 00:53:08 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Korey Fort <k.m.fort at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I know I shouldn't update when everything is working but I did.
> And now everything is messed up. I've tried reverting back to the
> previous kernel and still no luck. Here is my problem. My nvidia
> drivers are broken and now all of a sudden my mythbackend seg faults.

All you have to do to fix the NVIDIA drivers is download the install package
from the NVIDIA website.  Follow the installation instructions and it should
compile a new version of the module that will work with your new kernel.
(Note:  You will need to make sure you have the 2.6.17 kernel symbols
installed as well).

Before I reinstall my box, I'm looking for any help I can for where to
> look. I have FC4 running. The upgrade that caused it to break was the
> 2.6.16 to 2.6.17. My nvidia drivers stopped working and I have tried
> to uninstall them and reinstall them. When I start X up, the whole
> system hangs, as in locks up. If I change the x server to use nv
> instead of nvidia it workes, or rather it did work, now even that
> doesn't work. I could deal with that, because my mythtvbackend would
> still run and record, but now that just seg faults. I did an strace,
> but it didn't seems to indicate anything.

Mythbackend might be failing due to an incompatible TV card driver.  If you
have a PVR150/250 card or similar, you may need to update your ivtv module.
You can get the latest ivtv drivers from http://ivtvdriver.org.  There are
different versions for different kernels.  For example, ivtv 0.7.0 is for
2.6.17 and 0.6.3 is for kernel 2.6.16.  You can try typing 'dmesg' at the
prompt to see if your TV card is being detected properly.

Hope this helps.

- Joe