[mythtv-users] Change LiveTV side panel when 4:3 on 16:9

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 16:16:19 UTC 2006

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to change the color on the black "side
> panels" that occurs when watching LiveTV in 4:3 format on a widescreen
> 16:9 TV?
>
> I have tried to locate this information, without success.
>
> Regards,
>        HK

There's two kinds of 4:3 television that you're likely to get - what's
really 16:9 with borders added to make it 4:3, and then real 4:3.  The
first comes from HD channels where the show is non-widescreen, the second
comes from a real 4:3 analog source.

In the first case, the black borders are actually encoded into the signal
(at least in the MPEG-2 files that MythTV is making for me from my DViCO
FusionHDTV 5 Lite).  In the second case, I believe that it is the MPEG-2
decoder adding in the black border.

With a software change, I suspect that you might be able to fix the second
case, but the first case would require actual MPEG-2 parsing and replacing
to swap the color.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com