[mythtv-users] MythBox unstable when next to stereo/TV

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 20 18:34:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 12:24:19PM -0400, Scott Johnson wrote:
> I've tried twice now to move my MythBox from my den to the family
> room.    The box works great in my den.  But when it is next to the
> stereo or TV in the family room it has trouble booting and eventually I
> get a screen full of text that has "DMA" along the left side.  It looks
> like some kind of memory dump.  At the bottom of the screen, it reports
> that I am out of memory (including Swap space) and some processes are
> being killed.  There is hangs.  Last night it worked for about fifteen
> minutes and I could even start to watch a recorded show.  Then I did an
> operation in the MythStatus that required the database and it froze
> there and every few minutes I could move the mouse an inch.  So I
> rebooted it and I got the same DMA style errors.

Just to rule out something simple and obvious, are you sure that the new
location isn't overheating it? Some component could be just below the
threshold in the den. If you put it somewhere with a higher ambient
temperature or more restricted air flow it might go over its limit and
cause all sorts of weird problems.

--
Michael Heironimus