[mythtv-users] MythBox unstable when next to stereo/TV

Scott Johnson scott-mythtv at cfl.rr.com
Sun Aug 20 16:24:19 UTC 2006

I've tried twice now to move my MythBox from my den to the family
room.    The box works great in my den.  But when it is next to the
stereo or TV in the family room it has trouble booting and eventually I
get a screen full of text that has "DMA" along the left side.  It looks
like some kind of memory dump.  At the bottom of the screen, it reports
that I am out of memory (including Swap space) and some processes are
being killed.  There is hangs.  Last night it worked for about fifteen
minutes and I could even start to watch a recorded show.  Then I did an
operation in the MythStatus that required the database and it froze
there and every few minutes I could move the mouse an inch.  So I
rebooted it and I got the same DMA style errors.

I can unhook everything, move it back to the den, and it will power up
just fine.  All my equipment is to record standard def NTSC TV.  The TV
is a Hitachi 27 inch tube from 1994 that has worked great for twelve
years.  I'm connecting my video card to the TV via SVideo.

Hardware:
Antec Sonata II Case
C19-A SLI Motherboard
Celeron D 2.5 GHz
Western Digital 250 GB Harddrive
Patriot 1 GB RAM
Netgear WG311T Wireless 802.11g card
Gigibyte Geforce 6200 Video Card with SVideo Out
Scythe Ninja CPU Heatsink/Fan
Hauppauge 150, 250 (2 Tuners)
StreamZap Remote (unplugged for now)

Software
Fedora Core 4 Following Jarod's HowTo
MythTV 0.19
Packages are current with a week or so

So I figure that it is electrical interference or not enough power.

1) Power
If I turn all the equipment off except the Tivo, TV, and MythBox, it
still fails.   That doesn't seem like a lot of power to me.

2) Electrical Interference
I moved the computer away from all the other equipment to a distance of
about three feet but that didn't help.  The cabling doesn't allow me to
move it any more.  If it is electrical interference, what recourse do I
have?  I can keep the computer away from the other equipment but I'd be
risking the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF).

I'd like to hear from others before I blow another several hours moving
things around, only to have to undo it all again.  It is especially
frustrating because I am so close to being finished.

Scott