[mythtv-users] Error was encountered while displaying video. With HD-3000

Jeff jeff at propixs.com
Sun Aug 20 04:37:04 UTC 2006

William Munson wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>> With the latest 19.1-fixes at every show break while watch livetv
>> using my HD-3000 I get the "Error was encountered while displaying
>> video".  When watching from the pvr350 it works "ok" an occational
>> lockup with livetv but not too bad.  I'm wondering if it might be
>> hard drive performance related but really don't want to completely
>> rebuild the system just for a test.  Currently I'm using a single
>> drive  that is dedicated to mythtv recordings.
>>
>> Does anyone thing that that could possibly be fixed by striping the
>> hard disks maybe a raid 10?
>>

> If the only time you get that message is at show changes its likely
> caused by the video stream changing filenames as the show changes.
> Check your drive performance with hdparm. You should be able to watch
> a single stream "live" with no problems on your single drive. Also try
> playing with setting suid on mythfrontend.

Judging from the other reply to my post it doesn't look to be hdparam
related.  I'm getting :

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  182 MB in  3.01 seconds =  60.48 MB/sec

The suid is something I've wondered about also, this is a gentoo system
and the realtime thread isn't working due to an older version of pam (I
think that was what it was anyways).  I have been wondering though that
one of the changes between the .18.1 and .19 was mythbackend running as
user mythtv instead of root.  Could this be where the priority is not
set high enough (although I do renice it to -5).

The only interesting thing I (not that i'm an expert) see in the backend
log is:
2006-08-19 16:00:05.152 Preview:
'myth://192.168.0.9:6543/4501_20060819160001.mpg' is not local,
                        replacing with
'/mythtv/recordings/4501_20060819160001.mpg', which is local.
2006-08-19 16:00:05.159 Chain: Appended at 4 '4501_20060819160004'
2006-08-19 16:00:05.160 Preview Error: Previewer file
'/mythtv/recordings/4501_20060819160001.mpg' is not valid.

I was just planing on waiting till .20 came out to worry about it but
someone reopened the ticket for this error on .19.1 after he said the
problem still existed in the latest .20 svn even after the developer
closed it saying the code was replace :(.