[mythtv-users] Correct LiveTV Behavior during conflicts?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 19 18:24:43 UTC 2006

On 08/19/06 09:52, Richard Freeman wrote:

>If a front-end crashes while watching LiveTV the back-end continues to
>show the tuner as in-use.  That means that the tuner cannot be used
>until a future recording demands that tuner (ie only if all tuners are
>scheduled to record).  I'm guessing that the back-end should require a
>keep-alive message from the front-end, and free up the tuner if no
>response is received after some time-out period.

No.  Myth does the right thing.  (Not that this affects me because I
don't use LiveTV and my Myth never crashes ;), but this behavior should
/not/ be changed.)

You're watching LiveTV.  Your frontend crashes.  The backend continues
to record the show so that once you restart the frontend, you can go to
the Watch Recordings page, change the view to show the LiveTV group, and
start watching the recording.  That way, you don't miss what happened
when your frontend was down.

If you don't want the recording, you can cancel it, as Daniel
mentioned.  If you don't care what happened in between, cancel the
recording and restart LiveTV.  (But, if you don't care what happened
while the frontend was down, what are you doing wasting time watching
the show /and the commercials in it/ in the first place?)

Mike