[mythtv-users] Backend starting before DVB cards initialised.

Dennis Hand the4hands at comcast.net
Sat Aug 19 18:09:36 UTC 2006

>The changes I have made to the system to get the cards recognised are:

>/etc/rc.d/rc.local:

># Remove modules
>/sbin/modprobe -r saa7134
>/sbin/modprobe -r saa7134-dvb

>/sbin/modprobe saa7134-dvb
>/sbin/modprobe saa7134-alsa

>sleep 5
>chmod -R 777 /dev/dvb/adapter0
>chmod -R 777 /dev/dvb/adapter1

>(ex-MythDora) This is done because leaving the saa7134 module to load on
>it's own won't initialise saa7134-dvb and therefore no dvb directory
>under /dev.

>/etc/modprobe.conf:

># video4linux capture drivers
>for module in `/sbin/modprobe -c | awk
>'/^alias[[:space:]]+char-major-81-[[:digit:]]+[[:space:]]/ { print $3
>}'`; do
>load_module $module
>done

># lirc drivers
>for module in `/sbin/modprobe -c | awk
>'/^alias[[:space:]]+char-major-61+[[:space:]]/ { print $3 }'`; do
>load_module $module
>done

>echo -n $" multimedia"

># Everything else (duck and cover)
>for module in $other ; do
>load_module $module
>done

>(Ex-MythDora)

>I put these in because they are the only thing that would get both DVB
>cards going automagically.....but I am not a linux guru by any means, I
>just see things done and copy them.

>So, can anyone suggest a better way or a way to get mythbackend to run
>via an init script AFTER my cards are recognised or a better way to get
>2 DVB cards recognised and installed without this trickery...

>Thanks in advance

>Cheers
>Bruce

You could just put in "/etc/init.d/mythbackend start" at the end of rc.local.
You could also elect to turn off mythbackend from the init scripts with
"/sbin/chkconfig mythbackend off" if it's failing once you've done this. As
for your modprobe.conf hacks, I wouldn't think you would need that. Once
the modules have been loaded and the adapters created, then all should
be well.

Dennis Hand