[mythtv-users] Choosing a HDTV for myth usage

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 15:41:23 UTC 2006

On 8/17/06, Alex Brekken <brekkal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just as another data point, I've got the 40" Samsung LCD and I'm using a
> VGA cable.  The display looks fantastic in my opinion, and was easy to
> setup.  I spent a few hours one day fiddling around with modelines and
> modeline generators to use a DVI --> HDMI connection, but I was never able
> to get it to look as nice as the VGA connection looks.  I freely admit that
> I probably never found the best/correct modeline for DVI, but I'm very happy
> with VGA and decided it wasn't worth the time anymore.

Thanks for the information related to HDMI-DVI and VGA in this thread of
emails.  I eventually determined that the LG manual isn't telling lies.  It
really will only take 1024x768 from the VGA input.  On the DVI input, it
will take 1280x720, but it looks "squished".  It's almost to the point where
it looks like the thing is being scaled down and then up to the native res
of the panel.

So I opted for the Samsung LNS3251D.  It works "out of the box" on VGA.
Literally hooked it up to the myth box, added 1360x768 to my modes section
and it works.  DVI-HDMI is another story however, I can't get any modeline
that will actually show 1360x768 or even close.  I'm thinking this is
because the TV normally compensates for overscan on a DVI connection.  I was
messing with powerstrip for a good hour or two trying the HDMI-DVI
connection just because I'ld like to be all digital.  For now, I'll be happy
with VGA however.