[mythtv-users] OT: top/bottom/side posting - WAS Re: When is .20 coming?

Disconnect mythtv at gotontheinter.net
Thu Aug 17 19:22:07 UTC 2006

Here are two versions of this response to consider, from three common
perspectives.

One - you are reading this 'live' and so the original messages are a couple
of minutes old in your memory.
Two - you are reading this 'batched' - the whole conversation (up to now) is
probably in a row in your client, so the original message is seconds old.
Three - you are reading this months from now in an online archive.  The
original message has never been read by you and may not even be readily
accessible. (Think search results.)

(Don't have a fit, the messages are not an accurate summary of this
discussion - I threw my earlier message in as a quote and generally tweaked
around for example purposes.)

Message One (bottom-posted and trimmed):
=====================================

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Zach White did have cause to say:
> part of the original email. I don't want to wade through 3-4 pages of
> stuff I've already read to see your 1 line reply, when you could have

See the original point about wading through previous junk.

Message Two (top-posted and trimmed):
=====================================

See the original point about wading through previous junk.

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Zach White did have cause to say:

> And to further clarify, since I see people doing this on this list a
> lot:
>
> It's not enough to put your reply at the bottom. Post-pruning means
> trimming out the irrelevent garbage. If you're replying to several points
> in an email, put your reply to each point directly under the relevent
> part of the original email. I don't want to wade through 3-4 pages of
> stuff I've already read to see your 1 line reply, when you could have
> trimmed all but the 3 lines you're replying to.
>
> -Zach
>
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 02:43:17PM -0400, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> >
> > Or, in short:
> > On the Myth lists, Top-Posting = Bad. Post-pruning = Good!
> >
> > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Disconnect did have cause to say:
> > > earlier without having to re-read it yet again. If I can't, I can look
> > > down and find what I need.

In the 'live' reading scenario, you probably remember what was said and -
since the message is short and the response is simple - both are equivalent.
Same for the batched scenario.  For the archive scenario, the first message
is worthless.  "The original point" refers to a message that may or may not
be findable in the archives.

I didn't quite intend this to go so long, but there it is.  FWIW I'm not
actually of the opinion that there is a hard and fast rule either way. IMHO
for some messages bottom is best, for some top is best, for some
interleaving.  (Such as the 5 page problem description that gets quoted in
its entirety with "Nevermind, I had to reboot" at the bottom. Having
most/all of the problem might be good for the archive, but that "I fixed it
with this simple thing here" could just as easily go at the top without
impacting the usefulness or comprehension of the message. The trimmed
bottom-post version has little/no problem description, so "frotzinator fix"
won't find it when searching.)

Anyway. I'm gonna STFU and GBTW now. :)