[mythtv-users] Choosing a HDTV for myth usage

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 00:23:08 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Craig Partin <cpartin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Going all digital eliminates any ground loop problems that may get
> > > injected into an analog signal.  That was my reason, when upgrading my
> > > myth box, to ensure I could do optical audio and DVI (to HDMI) video.
> > > Now those issues are eliminated with my setup.
> >
> > no, going optical eliminates ground loop problems, DVI may be digital
> > but it still requires copper, and a ground connection.
> >
> > --
>

> So assuming quality wiring and the absence of ground loop problems
> then VGA is as good as DVI for feeding signal to the TV, particulary
> HD signal?  There is no loss in the D/A and A/D conversions?

in theory or practice? In theory, yes, DVI is better, its most likely
all digital (who knows really, its all down to the components and
design) which means no a/d-d/a noise. BUT, in practice, the noise is
so negligable that you won't notice a difference. Now. If your doing a
500ft cable run....

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!