[mythtv-users] which NVIDIA video card do I need

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 17:53:57 UTC 2006

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:10:25 -0400
From: sdkovacs <sdkovacs at gmail.com>
Subject: [mythtv-users] which NVIDIA video card do I
need
To: "Discussion about mythtv"
<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
<1f846f410608160810x7aea3d85p7ec497e9824d3fc9 at mail.gmail.com>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a combined frontend/backend On Fedora
Core 3 with a P3-800
> 384MB RAM. I'm currently using a PVR350 for all
output, but would like
> to switch to an Nvidia card to better support DVD,
mythgame and
> mythvideo, along with the upcoming OpenGL changes.
> So here are my questions:
>
> 1) Which Nvidia card would be the minimum I would
need to have smooth
> playback?
> 2) Does it make a difference which manufacturer's
card I purchase? For
> example is eVGA ok?
>

> Thanks in advance.

In my experience, you want an Nvidia based card with
overlay support--at least if you're planning to use
XvMC. (I don't know about non-XvMC playback.) Unlike
DxVA/VMR9 in windows, the Nvidia binary drivers seem
to have terrible video tearing when not using the
overlay on my FC5 Myth platform.  I've found OpenGL
sync and the video overlay helps tremendously.  So I
recommend an FX-5200/5500.  I don't think the 6xxx
series has hardware overlay support (go figure).