[mythtv-users] When is .20 coming?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 16:10:16 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Phill Wiggin <alamar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 11, 2006, at 12.27, Gary Jones wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know when .20 is going to be released, even an estimate?
> >
> > When It's Ready™
> >

> I'm going to show my ignorance here, but I've been curious about the
> release process for a while now.
>
> When a release is impending, I tend to go to
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/roadmap to see how close the next release
> is.  Previously, I'd check the Active Tickets of the next version
> (Now, .20 with 42 active tickets).  I took that to more or less be the
> "What's left before we release".
>
> I read DanielK's comment:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2182#comment:2 and got a bit
> confused by the "[we] are not fixing any remaining 0.19 problems".
> After re-reading it, I assume he means "if the problem persists, it'll
> be opened as a .20-.21 ticket.  That particular problem was fixed in
> "SVN Head", apparently.

I believe Daniel is refering to the fact that current SVN (ie soon to
be 0.20) has a lot of sections of code that have been rewritten and
which solve many issues that existed in 0.19. Due to this, the dev's
are not going to be looking at solving issues that exist in 0.19(more
so 0.19-fixes) but do not exist in current SVN, since 0.19 users
*should* (in theory) upgrade to 0.20 anyway.

> So, to those that are knowledgeable, my question is 2-fold:
>
> 1) When anticipating a release, what should we look at on trac? (The #
> of open tickets on the milestone that's releasing?)

Yes

> 2) How does SVN Head fit in with the milestones listed in trac? (I
> assume this is a standard practice when using svn, and if someone
> knows of a well-written howto/explaination, a link would be greatly
> appreciated.

SVN Head is the current source code with all patches applied that will
be released in the next milestone. So tickets set for 0.21 that
include patches have not been applied. 0.21 ticket patches exist for
those dev's that wish to track the patches and apply them manually.
Once 0.20 is released and a 0.20-fixes branch is created
Isaac/Daniel/etc will begin looking at the tickets slated for 0.21 to
apply to head (which will eventually, at this point, become 0.21).
Many times branches to HEAD are created (like Daniels DVB-EIT rewrite
branch) for large code changes so that specific areas can be worked on
without affecting other dev's (since many times these changes will
break the code for "extended" periods of time), and eventually get
merged back in when they feel its ready for general testing.

Hope this helps!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!