[mythtv-users] which NVIDIA video card do I need

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 16:01:13 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, sdkovacs <sdkovacs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a combined frontend/backend On Fedora Core 3 with a P3-800
> 384MB RAM. I'm currently using a PVR350 for all output, but would like
> to switch to an Nvidia card to better support DVD, mythgame and
> mythvideo, along with the upcoming OpenGL changes.
> So here are my questions:
>
> 1) Which Nvidia card would be the minimum I would need to have smooth playback?
> 2) Does it make a difference which manufacturer's card I purchase? For
> example is eVGA ok?

FX5200 is the minimum you'll want, though the 6600 series is coming
down in price as the 5200's are phased out. The difference for MythTV
has to do with how they handle some particulars to XvMC, which you
shouldn't really need at this point.

As for manufacturers, most use the reference design but vary on the
quality of components. eVGA in general makes good cards, but if you
find one specificly, check the archives then ask on the list to see if
anyone else has had any bad experience with the card running.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!