[mythtv-users] How to adjust X picture position?

Max Barry mythtv at maxbarry.com
Wed Aug 16 01:33:43 UTC 2006

My FX5200 blew up the other day, so I stuck in a GeForce 2 MX400 as a
temporary fix. To my surprise, it's performing just as well as the
FX5200 used to, so I'm thinking of keeping it.

There's just one problem: the picture is slightly too high. The top is
cropped, and there's a thin black border on the bottom. I'd like to
shift everything down about 1 inch.

This is what I've tried:

* Overscan setting in xorg.conf: apparently the MX400 doesn't support
this. (Although in any case, I don't want to zoom the picture but rather
move it.)

* TV controls: bizarrely, my TV set lets me shift the picture
horizontally but not vertically.

* xvidtune: allowed me to change modeline numbers, some of which alleged
to adjust the vertical position, but applying these made no noticeable
difference.

* MythTV settings: except of course these can't move the picture outside
the boundaries X has set.

Is there anything else I can do? It seems a shame to buy a new vid card
when this one is so close to delivering what I want.

Thanks,

Max.