[mythtv-users] Choosing a HDTV for myth usage

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Aug 15 20:55:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 15:35 -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:

> I'm looking at buying a HDTV this week

If you really want to save yourself a whole lot of grief, you might
Google around and see if you can find a known-working modeline for
xorg.conf for your proposed TV before you buy it. I have a Pioneer TV
that impresses even the cable technicians ("best picture I have seen so
far" from the Comcast guy), but since there was no modeline available
for it, I had to develop my own which turned into two months of headache
and a complete reinstall of my system (destroyed it trying to install
and run Windows XP just so that I could use the Powerstrip software to
get a working modeline; eventually worked but was yet another major
headache). Save yourself this by buying a TV that is known to display HD
under X that you can find a known-working modeline for.

--Greg