[mythtv-users] diskless Mythtv USB

Edgar Sigal esigal at insidewire.com
Tue Aug 15 20:34:54 UTC 2006

I have an EPIA SP13000 that is currently running as both front and backend
(FC5).

I would like to split the front and backend keeping the EPIA box as front
end. I would also like to remove the hard drive (SATA 250 GB) for use in the
backend.

Challenges:
1) Diskless boot: via PXE or USB key
Can I do a PXE boot if I already have a linksys router acting as DHCP
server?
Would it not be faster to boot from USB key rather than over the network
(100 baseT)?
I have tested the key on the EPIA and by changing the hard drive boot order
it does try and boot from the USB key.
FYI: when I set to USB:ZIP it would not boot, I had to keep it as hard
drive.
How do I do a fresh install on the USB key?
Can I add a boot option to the Fedora install DVD to load USB dirvers?
Is it possible to copy the current /boot root partitions over to the USB
key?

2) need new IR
Since my PVR-150 card will be moving to the backend, I will need to set up a
new IR for the front end.
The case has an IR (Tranquil-T2) with 3 pins, can this be connected to
serial port some how?
Or should I take a cheapo BTTV card I have and just use the IR port on that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edgar Sigal