[mythtv-users] Control DirecTV D11 via serial port

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Aug 14 22:16:00 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> Just curious if anyone else has gotten this to work and any advice
> they could lend. I'm attempting this with a USB to Serial adaptor and
> a null modem connected to my mythtv box. I installed the perl module
> Devices:SerialPort and the modified script linked from http://
> www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB.
> Unfortunately all I seem to get is:

Which USB to Serial and null modem adapters are you using?

Have you gotten the communications to work outside the script? I've
helped a number of people with this script, and so far, all of their
problems have stemmed from either a bad or incorrect cable or using
the wrong port settings.

I just added a couple links to some windows serial port utilities to
the mythtv.org wiki entry on it. If you have a windows machine with a
serial port that you can use, you should be able to connect the serial
port to the D11 box and run the ComPort Toolkit software to send
commands to the box. The specific commands to send can be found in the
PDF (also linked from the wiki page).

If you can get communications working from windows, you've eliminated
the cabling as a possible problem. GIve that a try and let me know how
you make out.

 - Jeff