[mythtv-users] Modeline adjustments?

Tim Scholl tascholl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 19:31:41 UTC 2006

On 8/12/06, Tim Scholl <tascholl at gmail.com> wrote:

> > meaning
> > realized that
> > and
> > standards for

> > SDTV
> > asked on
> > for

> > about
> > > no

> > from

> > > Thanks for your suggestions.  Thought it might be time to recap this
> > > problem.
> > >

> > > I upgraded the Nvida drivers from 1.0-7174 to the lastest 1.0-8762
> > >
> > > After doing that I tired my orignal XF86Config-4 (the one that had the
> > left
> > > hand side of what should be the normal display,  is in the middle of
> > the
> > > screen!!)
> > >
> > > Now with the new drivers installed it now Displays correctly!!  So
> > that
> > > problem was with the 1.0-7174 drivers.
> > >
> > > Since you headed me in the right direction in making some changes to
> > the
> > > mode line I am wondering if you could shead some additional light on
> > the
> > > subject.
> > >
> > > With this modeline: ModeLine "ATSC-1080-60i" 74.25 1920 1960 2016 2200
> > 1080
> > > 1082 1088 1125 Interlace
> > >
> > > The Home screen is displayed with the left side of the H missing and
> > the
> > > tops of the ome is at the top of the screen.
> > >
> > > All in all it looks like there is equal space not being displayed on
> > all for
> > > sides of the screen.  When I go to the setup menus I the bottom row is
> > not
> > > displayed.
> > >
> > > Is it now possible to get the size of the display a little smaller on
> > all
> > > four sides ?
> >
> > thats the TV overscan, you will want to adjust the menu display size
> > to fix the menu. You can also fiddle with the modeline to try and get
> > more of the screen on the screen, but this is really the wrong way to
> > go about this since it means you no longer output a pixel for pixel
> > image.
> >
> > The REAL way to fix it is to fix the TV, using the service menu and
> > adjusting the display width and height. This *is* a "dangerous" method
> > though, as if you don't do things right you can screw up your TV.
> > Check the avsforum to see if people know how to do this with the HDTV
> > you have and follow the method they describe and don't fiddle with
> > anything else and you'll be fine.
> >
> > I've done this with my HDTV, I used the service menu to get the image
> > as tightly on the screen as possible then adjusted the menu offsets so
> > that it better fits the screen.
> >
> > I forget which setup screen this is in, I think its in general, or
> > perhaps appearance somewhere....
> >
> > --
> > Steve

> [...]

Final resolution was to edit the Video Mode Settings and define two seperate
HD resolutions.
one 1760x960 and one 1920x1080

1760x960 is used for the menus and 1920x1080 is used for Video Output.  This
work fairly well but do give some extra delay when switching between menus
and TV output, you see the bottom of the "Desktop" when switching to the
Program guide from live TV.  This is a minor issue.  However when you reboot
or cold start the system, the first time in resizes the menus it scales them
to the 1920x1080 screen size.

You have to go through Utilities/Setup Setup / Appearance  and the just OK
through all the screens and it them resizes them for the 1760x960
resolution.

Thanks for all the assistance .....

Tim Scholl

--