[mythtv-users] ASUS P4P800-SE No Sound with onboard soundcard

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Aug 14 18:05:58 UTC 2006

> > cat /proc/interrupts says:
> >   6:          0          XT-PIC  Intel ICH5

FWIW, XT-PIC seems to hit the CPU pretty hard compared to IO-APIC.
Even if you are not running a dual-core processor you may want to
compile your kernel with local-APIC and IO-APIC enabled.  That
won't solve your current problem but may prevent future problems.

> This might be stupid, but have you ever gotten the on-board sound to
> work at all under any distro?

I was going to ask this as well -- is the lack of sound limited to
MythTV or does it affect other programs like XMMS as well?  If your
machine is dual-boot, do you get sound under non-Linux operating
systems?  The best way to solve a problem is to split it into many
smaller problems and solve each independently.

The sound hardware on the P4P800-SE is capable of directing audio
to any of the three jacks in order to accomodate extra speakers for
4, 5 or 5.1 channel surround sound.  When running Windows, any time
you plug something into a jack the ASUS sound driver detects the
connection and throws up a pop-up that asks you about your hardware
arrangement.  I haven't checked the Linux drivers, but suspect they
are designed for conventional stereo output.  As unlikely as it
seems, this means that you can plug a pair of speakers into the mic
jack and get sound in Windows but not in Linux....