[mythtv-users] Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released

Derek Battams derek at battams.ca
Mon Aug 14 14:17:25 UTC 2006

Quoting Dan Wilga <mythtv-users at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu>:

> Instead of extending recordings, can it instead alter the schedules
> of programs set to record after the sports event?
>
> I record "60 Minutes" on CBS, but it's frequently pushed forward
> because of football or golf. As it is now, I have to set the schedule
> to always record an extra hour, just in case it doesn't start on
> time--and that wastes precious disk space.

What you're asking for is _posible_, but MRE doesn't do it and I don't
think I'd change MRE to support it.  Why?  If you read some of my
earlier replies this morning, you'll notice that MRE relies on _near_
realtime data to make its decisions about extending recordings.  Since
I wrote this and started using it back in February my recordings
usually are padded with an extra 5-10 minutes since the sources I use
for the game updates are usually a few minutes behind.  The key is
that I always get the entire game recorded, even if it goes into
triple overtime (my original motivation was this past season's Stanley
Cup playoffs).

Changing a recording that follows a live event would not work as
smoothly.  Even if we detect that the game ran 20 minutes late,
there's no guarantee that the program to follow starts immediately
after.  Usually networks will run a postgame show to the bottom of the
hour or whatever.  Also, if I detect the game is over 5 minutes after
it actually ended (again, the sources are _near_ realtime) then you
may miss some of the program, etc.  There are a few more variables
involved in this case, which makes it a little more tricky.

   - Derek