[mythtv-users] Alsa SPDIF SP13000 (via8237)

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Aug 14 04:48:19 UTC 2006

> For the Via8237, it's device 0, subdevice 3.
>
> Mike

As stated, I've tried all combinations - I inferred that it was in fact
0,0,3 by using the -v flag on "aplay -D spdif ..." but that doesn't
explain why
  aplay -D spdif xxx.wav
works OK but
   aplay -D hw:0,0,3 xxx.wav
doesn't work. Must be missing something (again!)

I've seen some chatter about assigning PCM to SPDIF using alsamixer but
there are no toggles that I can see that allow a selection to take place.
I'll try the command
   amixer set 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA' 0
when I get home tonight to see if the assignment has to be done manually.

By the way - I see there is a file in /usr/share/alsa/cards called
VIA8237.conf - should I copy that to /etc/asound.conf or does it all
happen by magic?

All the bits are in there I'm sure, its just that some of them haven't got
a name so I can't find them!

--
Robin Gilks