[mythtv-users] XBox suggestion

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Aug 13 23:58:21 UTC 2006

If anyone on here is currently working on the XBox front-end
sources, I have an enhancement I'd love to see.

I use the (red) XBox LED to indicate when the backend is recording,
mainly because the persistent DMA problems with IVTV cause my
back-end to crash if I try streaming anything to the frontend while
a recording is in progress.  This works for cases where the backend
is already recording when I sit down to watch TV as I can see the
backend is busy and simply watch non-Myth sources.  It doesn't help
at all if I'm watching a Myth recording when a capture starts, as
the time between when the LED goes red and when the backend dies
can be quite short.

What I'd love to see (besides working DMA code in IVTV) is a few
more LED options for the XBox.  If the LED device API supports it,
I'd like to see the color list expanded so that each color was
available as either solid or flashing.  Aside from "default LED
color" and "recording LED mode", it would also be nice to have a
third color and adjustable timer for "pre-recording" so that the
LED could change before the recording actually starts (like a
traffic light).

In combination, I would then be able to use solid green (or off)
when the backend is idle, flashing orange for 5 minutes prior to a
recording, and solid red when a capture is in progress.