[mythtv-users] A couple of issues with a PVR-350-based system

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Sun Aug 13 14:18:02 UTC 2006

I have my MythTV setup almost working very well, but I still have several issues that I can't seem to resolve. I would really appreciate it if someone could help.

I have everything setup to use the 350's TV-out, like most 350 users do.  The EPG displays on a small monitor that I have to the side, which I actually like.  The problem is, when the EPG is being displayed, the display on the TV dims a bit; obviously MythTV 'thinks' that the EPG is overlaying the video, but this is not the case in my setup.  Is there any way to get rid of this dimming?  (I tried adjusting an 'alpha' setting in the Playback settings, but turning that down brightens the TV-out but dims the EPG.  I want both at full brightness)

I still have not been able to get closed captioning to work at all on the 350's TV-out.  I noticed that CC works fine when I turn this off, and let the video display on the monitor.  There is a capability to display text on the TV-out, though, even though I don't have everything completely setup to display the whole EPG and such on the TV-out. For example, when I first start viewing live TV with the EPG viewing on the monitor, the text 'input selection S-' (I think it should be 'input selection s-video', with the last part cut off for whatever reason) is displayed on the TV.  I can also get some text menus on the TV, with options like bringing up the fill EPG (on the monitor), turning on CC (which, again, doesn't work), setting aspect ratios, etc.  I just can't get the closed captioning text on the TV.

I am using a Gentoo box running kernel 2.6.17-r5, MythTV version 0.19_p10505, and version 0.7.0 of the IVTV drivers, if that helps.