[mythtv-users] Help with avermedia a180 hd card.

kim gross kgross at jensalt.com
Sun Aug 13 05:41:13 UTC 2006

Gene Stapp wrote:

>kim gross wrote:
>

>>>I'd suggest the AverMedia A180 HD card.  I'm using it for QAM on
>>>Comcast.  It works great with 2.6 and Myth, supports QAM or OTA and is
>>>cheap ($80)
>>>
>>>http://www.aver.com/2005home/product/tvtuner/pci/mcea180wb/mcea180wb.shtml
>>>http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_cards
>>>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerTV_HD_A180
>>>
>>>Kevin
>>>

>>Kevin,
>>
>>I am trying to follow your directions in the wiki on the a180, and it is
>>not creating the /dev/dvb stuff.  When I check dmesg it says"saa7130/34:
>>v4l2 driver version 0.2.14 loaded"
>>
>>I have blacklisted the saa7134 driver, and I am modprobe'ing  saa7134-dvb
>>
>>This is on a FC 4 system updated to the newest ATRPMS kernal
>>
>>2.6.17-1.2142_FC4
>>
>>Any suggestions, or more info needed
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>Kim

>Are you sure you copied the firmware file to the right directory? It
>sounds like you are skipping this step in the a180 wiki
>
>/which will download the firmware file and extract the
>*dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw* file. You will then be asked to copy it to one of
>two places depending on your distribution.
>/I can't remember what directory it went to offhand but I do remember of
>the two directories it told me to put the firmware file in, it was the
>first choice and was the simpler/smaller of the two directories
>For fedora core 4 and 5, I had to add this line to my modprobe.conf file
>to get the a180 firmware to load on bootup. It's toward the end of the file.
>/install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134; /sbin/modprobe
>saa7134-dvb/
>other than that if you follow the directions in the wiki, it works
>great. I've installed an a180 multiple times on fedora core 4 and 5 systems.

I have most of the card working now, I  still can't figure out how to
get it to load the drivers automaticly.  here is my modprobe.conf file.

blacklist saa7134

options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin$alias usb-controller ehci-hcd

alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ;
/sbin/modprobe --$alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias scsi_hostadapter1 sata_via
alias eth0 tg3
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-via82xx index=0
remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/$alias scsi_hostadapter sata_promise
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-8762
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-8762

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv tuner=2
options msp3400 once=0 simpler=1 simple=0

 From what you are saying I should just add

/install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134; /sbin/modprobe saa7134-dvb/

To the end of the file????

I will give that a try.  Also do you know of any better howtos on how to
configure the card to work with myth?  I did a scan and created a
channels.conf file (without stationids) but now I am very confused on
what I need to do.

Thanks
Kim