[mythtv-users] uPnP capabilities

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Aug 12 22:25:43 UTC 2006

Hello,

it's been a while since I was active on this list.

Some people still contact me about the walkthrough I wrote how to get mythtv
and the pvr350 to work on debian. For the archive: This is outdated. Way
outdated! I neither use the pvr's tv-out nor debian anymore (not on the
mythbox that is). So I don't know how to get them to work with the new ivtv
driver.

But I wanted to ask a question here, sorry for the deviation. And sorry again,
if this has been discussed before, but I didn't find anything on it.

I upgraded the old laptop that was doing the media handling in the library
with a Terratec Noxon2 uPnP client. This is definitely a nice piece of
hardware, nat at all as capable as the laptop, but a lot more userfriendly
(my wife will like it, I hope). Especially the uPnP-server's capabilities is
what I wondered about. Why not simple let mythmusic be a uPnP client? That
way all the uPnP devices and mythmusic would have the same data, could be
synchronised in party mode and so on (depending on the uPnP servers
capabilities of course).

I know the uPnP-server (twonkymusic) I use is not OSS, but it's a nice piece
of software that's available for most platforms (WinXP, Linux, MacOS, ARM
etc.). And there still is gmediaserver.

Well, the point is, the Noxon has better handling now than the full fledged
Mythbox with mythmusic. And if I want the full bells and whistles I'll use
amarok (which is on the mythbox as well) anyway.

I know there is some work on uPnP but as I understood the little I did scratch
from the internet it's server capabilities that will be included, isn't it.
Will there be client capabilities?

Sorry for the long mail for such a small question,

Torsten