[mythtv-users] kworld ATSC 110

barbex barbex at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 19:19:03 UTC 2006

> Chad:
>
> Reasonable question...
>
> No matter how I configure the Myth frontend; DVB, MPEG2, etc.  or change
> the device to /dev/dvb/adapter0/*  The message is always 'can't open the
> device.'
>
> The only one that does appear to be avle to open the device, is
> v4l:/dev/video0
>

> ####################
> 2006-08-10 21:25:03.369 TVRec(1): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> 2006-08-10 21:25:03.424 Channel(/dev/video0) Error: SetInputAndFormat(0,
> ATSC)
>                         while setting format (v4l v2)
>                         eno: Invalid argument (22)
> 2006-08-10 21:25:03.452 Channel(/dev/video0): SetInputAndFormat(0, ATSC)
>                         Setting video mode with v4l version 1 worked
> VIDIOCGMBUF:: Invalid argument
> strange error flushing buffer ...
> 2006-08-10 21:25:24.087 TVRec(1): Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
> 2006-08-10 21:25:24.094 Finished recording Unknown: channel 1009
> ####################
>
> Cheers;
>
> E!
>

> > On 8/10/06, tv at wilson.cx <tv at wilson.cx> wrote:
> >> Hi ....
> >>
> >> Is there an echo in here?
> >>
> >> Beyond Darren;s suggetions, there does seem to be much happinging here,
> >> so I'll update my self with the hope it helps soomeone in the future.
> >>

> >> OK - I am able to lock on to the feed via azap, as per my note below.
> >>
> >> Now I can actually see video via mplayer;
> >> mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 -cache 8192 -framedrop -nosound -vo x11
> >>
> >> But I can't get myth to see, or scan via, the card.  Part of what is
> >> confusing is all the different device names and the modprobe command
> >> contridictions.
> >> i.e. remove foo; modprobe -r foo --ignore-remove foo
> >>
> >> That would translate to remove, and remove, but don't ????  I realize
> >> that's an entirely different debate...
> >>

> >> dmesg reports video0, vbi using v4l.
> >>
> >> azap reports using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and
> >> '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
> >>
> >> myth doesn't seem to be able to use any of them or any variation of
> >> them.
> >>

> >> What card type and device should I be using in Myth? I think I've tried
> >> every variation possible, to no avail.
> >>
> >> The Wiki for this card is not really helpful.  It basically say install
> >> the latest v4l, but nothing about how to config it in Myth.
> >>

> >> Somebody throw me a bone?
> >>

> >> Cheers;
> >>
> >> E!
> >
> > The only bone I can offer doesn't apply to this card, but generally to
> > any HDTV card that I've read about in linux.  They work better with
> > DVB devices, so configure it as a DVB device.  What does myth tell you
> > when you try to configure a DVB device?  What's the actual message on
> > the screen?
> >
> > -Chad

It may not be a bone but maybe it gives you a pointer.
I set up a DVB-T card (AverTV 771) a while ago and I had the problem
that it worked at first and the suddenly neither mythtv nor xine could
access it. I did an strace on xine and mplayer for dvb://[Name] and
found this:

open("/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 EBUSY
(Device or resource busy)

Now I never really found out what exactly kept it busy but one idea
was that mythbackend tried to use the DVB onairguide without having
channels defined or something else. I solved this all by removing the
module, I think I even removed the card for one reboot, then I killed
mythbackend, modprobed the dvb-module for the card, configured it in
mythtv-setup, defined some channels and then startet mythbackend.
Since then it works.

Hope this helped. Good luck to you.
Barb