[mythtv-users] Modeline triggers aspect change?

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Aug 10 21:53:46 UTC 2006

> I would like to decrease overscan, but I have been told that
> it is not really possible on PVR-350?

It should be possible to fix the overscan on the 350. The "trick" is to
reduce the size of the visible portion of the scan so that it fits into your
screen without changing the timing. If you do some digging you should be
able to find some info online. In a nutshell, you have a modeline with 8
screen size numbers:

(This is from memory so forgive any slight errors)

The numbers are something like this.

clock_rate h1 h2 h3 h4 v1 v2 v3 v4 h_sync v_sync interlace

If you reduce h1 and v1 by 8 counts at a time (8 is a magic number :) )
until the scan just fits the screen without touching the other numbers your
timing will remain the same. Once you have the picture the size you want
increase or decrease h2 and h3 or v2 and v3 together to move the position of
the picture on the screen until you have things perfectly centered. The v4
and h4 numbers determine the timing of the signal and should not be touched.

This worked very nicely for me. I now display a picture that has about 3-5
pixels of overscan, just enough to get rid of the closed caption lines at
the top of the picture without losing much picture info.

PS - For me it was convienient to load up xorg.conf with 6 or more modelines
that only varied one number by 8 counts between each modeline. Then I simply
used the resolution switching hotkey to toggle between modelines to see
which one worked best. It took some tial and error but a couple of hours of
play and I had it perfect.

Good luck.
Bill