[mythtv-users] What does Myth *really* require in terms ofwindowingr?

Peter A. Daly petedaly at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 23:58:05 UTC 2006

> > Hmmm, My frontend box has 512MB, boots off the network, and does not
> > swap.

I've modified MiniMyth to boot from a flashdisk, and at least for my
purposes it seems to work quite well.

MiniMyth basically runs in a ram disk, which eliminates the swap problem.
Unless I'm modifying the config, there are no writes to the flash card.
When the system boots, it reads the MiniMyth image off the flash card, then
boots it as a ramdisk.  It is really quite similar to how the standard
MiniMyth network boot works but less complicated infrastructure wise because
it's self contained.  My real reason for using flash was to build a
completely silent frontend, which is hard or impossible with a standard
spinning platter disk.

Mixed with a Via EPIA ME6000 motherboard and external DC brick style power
supply makes for a silent front end with no moving parts.

Well, consider the XBox: 64 MB, only about 58 MB is user-accessable
> in Linux. It does operate with an amount of swap, but I've heard that
> having 128 MB of RAM increases performance drastically.

I run off 256MB of RAM right now and have not had any memory problems.

A (very much work in progress) page for how I did it is at:
http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/minimyth/boot_from_compact_flash_disk

-Pete