[mythtv-users] Hooking Hauppauge NOVA-T remote to NOVA-T-less front end ...

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 01:20:40 UTC 2006

On 09/08/06, Jules Gosnell <jules at coredevelopers.net> wrote:

> I bought a pair of NOVA-Ts for my back end which lives in my office and
> would like to set up a remote control for my front end which lives under
> the tv in the living room.
>
> I have a couple of remotes and infra-red eyes sitting on my desk, that
> came with the NOVA-Ts.
>
> Is there a reasonably painless way of reusing one of the infra-red eyes
> somehow (it has a headphone jack on it at the moment, but I might not be
> averse to some simple soldering) to allow the front end (which does not
> contain a NOVA-T) to 'see' a NOVA-T remote control ?

It may be possible to use LIRC via a soundcard input with the existing
3.5mm connector, but this depends on how much of the IR circuit is in
the head of the eye. You could also try using a 3.5mm audio extension
lead from the backend to the frontend but this may introduce
unsatisfactory latency and mean a cable needs to be dropped between
the two systems.

It will probably be quicker to either build a homebrew serial IR
receiver (schematics on the lirc.org site), buy a pre-assembled one
(such as zapway.de), or get hold of a USB IR receiver. It's likely
most of the IR components of the eye could be reused if you go the
homebrew route, but I haven't yet taken one apart to see exactly
what's in it.

You can still use the Nova-T remote with the homebrew receiever -
however this also allows you to use many other remotes with your
frontent, whereas the Nova-T card/eye limits you to using RC5-based
remotes.

> Are there lirc configs out there which allow you to control most of
> mythtv's fn-ality via a NOVA-T remote ?

Yes. The LIRC website (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/hauppauge/)
carries remote configurations for most if not all Hauppauge remotes.

Hope this helps,
Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: