[mythtv-users] Custom record rule not matching episodes with different (matching) title

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 23:28:23 UTC 2006

On 08/08/06, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 07:46:55PM +0100, Nick wrote:
> > I was wondering whether as the custom rule selected a set of matching
> > episodes (including those with differently formed titles), this same
> > set of episodes would be tested for duplicates as a single unit,
> > irrespective of whether there were different seriesids in the set.
>
> Think of it this way: the parameter that asks you what fields to
> use for dupe checking automatically inserts "title", so if you
> select "subtitle" it really checks title+subtitle.  If the titles
> are different then the shows will never be detected as dupes.
>
> The only reasonable way to flag episodes of "Law and Order" and
> "Law & Order" in a single group is to hack the titles by running an
> update query after each mythfilldatabase run and then trigger a
> reschedule so Myth checks for dupes again.

This is what I was fearing - I was hoping that the custom record rule
would not only allow regexp matching of the titles to generate a list
of candidate recordings, but then go further and allow proper
dupe-matching within this set (via subtitle/desc) as the titles would
be considered (implicitly) the same as they matched the initial regexp
for title.

Would it not make sense for custom rules to be able to treat such
regexp title matches as having equal titles to allow such advanced
scheduling? I guess for the time being I'll just scan the Upcoming
list for any unmatched dupes and hope the listings providers can stick
to one variant of the title (if the number of dupe 'misses' increases
I'll start correcting the listings data in the database).

Thanks so much for your pointers,
Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: