[mythtv-users] My Ceiling Fan Controls My Mythtv Sound :(

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 20:15:12 UTC 2006

William wrote:
>> Every time there's an electrical load on the curcuit that my
>> living room A/V setup is plugged into (Myth box included),
>> there is a half second of silence.
>>

> That is not a surge. That is a sag. Unless the line running into your house
> is extremely long you have another issue which needs to be looked into right
> away. Sags are usually caused by a poor connection somewhere in your
> electical  distribution box.  It is not uncommon in older homes to have a
> loose connection where your AC mains enter the house. I would contact the
> power company or a certified electrician to check your electrical system
> before your house burns down.
>
> No this is not a joke!

Let me emphasize this and what I wrote before, from practical experience.
I had a new service panel put in several years ago. In CA, PG&E is
responsible for making the final *permanent* connection to the mains.
The electrician only establishes a temp connection. Well.. for some
reason (paperwork, but not on my part nor the electricians), it was
never hooked up and I forgot about it. After a year or so, I started
seeing problems with the lights when the dryer went on. To make a long
story short, the mains were never permanently connected.

It is important that you get this looked at.

--
brad fuller
sonaural: www.sonaural.com