[mythtv-users] My Ceiling Fan Controls My Mythtv Sound :(

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 16:14:49 UTC 2006

Well, that certianly is a strange one, and I loved the response John
gave, but I'll give you another strang one...

Every time there's an electrical load on the curcuit that my living
room A/V setup is plugged into (Myth box included), there is a half
second of silence.

At first I thought it was the surges causing it.  Every time the
airconditioner kicked on, or the microwave was turned on (or even
closed), there would be the half second of slience from the myth box.
So..  I bought a line conditioner and EVERYTHING A/V related goes
through it.  Even the plugs for the wireless mouse and the
VGA->Component converter.  NOTHING is plugged into the wall on the A/V
gear, TV included.

Still the problem occurs.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of electromagnetic
interference.  The sound is run from the Myth box via SPDIF (RCA
cable, not optical).  When the surge (or whatever) occurs, the
reciever (Kenwood VR-something) input indicator switches from coaxial
digital to something else for a half second causing the brief mute.

Still haven't figured out what's causing that, though.

Eric Ladner