[mythtv-users] anyone using software RAID 5 for 1 terabyte +

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 22:27:18 UTC 2006

> To me the biggest limitation of RAID-5/6/whatever is the fact that the
> drives all have to be the same size.  Drives get bigger all the time -
> if I want to add more space in a few years I won't want to do it by
> trying to find some obsolete drive 1/10th the size of typical retail
> drives.

With software raid this is no problem. Create the raid array using a
partition of the disk and not  the drive itself. This way when you get
a bigger disk you can partition and use the remaining space for
whatever you want (possibly using it in another raid array). I beleive
exactly what you are asking can be done easily with creating raid
arrays as partitions and using lvm to make these partitions look like
a single volume.

John