[mythtv-users] No sound after upgrade to FC5

Dave mythtv at schooler.net
Sun Aug 6 21:00:27 UTC 2006

Mito Tranin - Lists wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Good morning, all.
>>
>> Been fighting this for weeks, and am at a loss.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Mythtv runs fine on Fedora Core 4.  My drive is dying, so I installed a
>> new drive and installed Fedora Core 5 - all other hardware is unchanged.
>> Sound on FC5 works fine everywhere except in mythtv and tvtime.  I can
>> still (dual) boot into either OS - FC4 works great, and FC5 doesn't have
>> sound.  Video works fine on both OSs. If I use mythtv to record a TV
>> show and play it on my laptop with mythtv, it works when recorded on
>> FC4, but there's no sound when recorded on FC5.
>>
>> The sound output of my Hauppauge WinTV goes to line-in on my sound card.
>>   I'm assuming that there's something somewhere that is not set to
>> capture the line-in from the sound card for mythtv.  "aplay /dev/dsp"
>> doesn't produce sound (same with dsp0, dsp1, adsp, adsp0 adsp1).
>>
>> I'm not sure what system info is relevant, so will start with just the
>> kernel versions:
>>
>> 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5  (for Fedora Core 5)
>> 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4  (for Fedora Core 4)
>>
>> Where do I start troubleshooting this?  I'm afraid my "old" drive is
>> going to die soon, and won't be able to use mythtv anymore.
>>
>> Thanks for any insight!
>>
>> Dave
> What version of WinTV card do you have?  It could be a problem with your
> ivtv drivers, as there is some issues with ivtv 0.7 and kernel 2.6.17
> (and if you're not using ivtv 0.7, then that would be the problem as
> that's the only version compatible with that kernel).
>
> I have an old PVR-350 that I was using in FC4 perfectly fine, but then I
> updated my system to keep things the same version with my new frontend,
> and then I no longer had sound after upgrading to the ivtv 0.7 and
> kernel 2.6.17.  This is due to a problem with my specific msp3400
> chipset, and the developer is working with me to figure it out and fix
> it.  There are also some other people with a similar problem, but with a
> different cause.  Check out the ivtv users mailing list for more info...

Hello, Mito.  Thanks for responding to my plea for help...

The retail box says, "Hauppauge WinTV Model 400".  yum reports ivtv is
not installed on my FC4, but reports that it is installed on my FC5 (v
0.7.0, release 117.fc5.at).  I _think_ I only installed ivtv on FC5 when
I reached a dead-end getting sound going.  From what I gathered, ivtv is
for PVR-250 and PVR-350 - not my WinTV model.  Maybe I should uninstall
ivtv?

I don't understand how this all works together.  lsmod looks like it
should be providing clues, but it doesn't make sense to me.  On FC5:

[root at dave ~]# lsmod | grep bt
bt878                   9416  0
snd_bt87x              13156  0
snd_pcm                75012  4
snd_bt87x,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
bttv                  171124  1 bt878
video_buf              23556  1 bttv
ir_common              27524  1 bttv
compat_ioctl32          1280  1 bttv
i2c_algo_bit            8905  1 bttv
btcx_risc               4488  1 bttv
snd                    51044  13
snd_bt87x,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
tveeprom               13072  1 bttv
i2c_core               22209  7
tuner,tvaudio,msp3400,i2c_sis96x,bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom
videodev               20992  1 bttv
v4l2_common            20608  4 tuner,msp3400,bttv,videodev
snd_page_alloc          8456  3 snd_bt87x,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
[root at dave ~]#

Dave