[mythtv-users] anyone using software RAID 5 for 1 terabyte +

Dean Wilson dean.k.wilson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 15:29:27 UTC 2006

I have 5 250 GB hard drives that I've tried configuring a couple
different ways.  The first set-up was all 5 in a 1 TB Raid5 array.
Unfortunately, in the first setup configuration (all 5 drives in Raid5
were used for /, /home, /usr, and /var as well as my mythtv directory)
I noticed that whenever the box was recording something while I was
watching something else, playback was jerky.

I have since reconfigured, and have /, /home, /usr, and /var on one
drive, and used the other 4 hard drives for a 750 GB Raid5 array just
for mythtv.  In this configuration, I haven't had any problems at all.

I know others have used all 5 hard drives with no problem -- just not
me.  It's possible that my motherboard is to blame (I wasn't using a
sata or raid card, just 5 hard drives plugged into the motherboard
with mdadm) or the fact that one of my five drives was IDE, and the
others were SATA.

I was concerned about upgradeability myself.  So far, 750 GB seems to
be treating me just fine.  ;)  And I guess by the time I'll need to
upgrade, hard drives will be considerably cheaper -- I can always
replace each of the 250 GB drives with 500 GB drives and double the
capacity.

~Dean