[mythtv-users] Gigabit switch

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 15:46:20 UTC 2006

On 8/4/06, Michael MacLeod <mikemacleod at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just saw this discussion, and are gigabit switches really this unreliable?
> Is it just that the technology hasn't matured, or what? And are we
> discussing consumer level stuff that I'd find in future shop, or more
> industrial units?

I have over 10 inexpensive gigabit switches in my department and the
only one I have had any problems with was a $50 8 port dlink model
which the connectors had to be in very tight for the thing to work.
Other than that everything has worked fine. I highly recommend the
netgear gs series as we have 3 of these (2 were purchased 3 years ago)
and they work very well and they are not that expensive. Their 48 port
managed layer2 gigabit switch with 96 Gb of bandwith costs around
$700US.

John