[mythtv-users] Scheduling: prefer input

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Aug 4 05:36:01 UTC 2006

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. <gtgj at pacbell.net> says:
> I think you guessed wrong.  I don't know if it's really broken
> but here are reasons why this option was added:
>
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-commits/2006-June/018104.html

I appreciate the link and agree that I was wrong. While some of the
uses bjm suggests can indeed be done by the current setup, some (such
as the HD channel that doesn't completely simulcast all programs)
can't.

Among the uses is this:
> A couple years ago, someone built two identical backend servers with
> local disks only to find that the majority of shows were recorded on
> the host with card 1. With preferred input, a few titles could be
> 'assigned' to the cards on the other host to load balance the disk
> usage.

I've noticed something similar. Of my two identical FireWire cable
boxes (both on the same backend, of course), I've noticed over the
past few months that mythbackend always chooses box #2 first. It only
uses box #1 when #2 is already in use. Needless to say, both boxes hve
identical priorities in mythtv-setup. More to the point, I am almost
certain that when I first set up MythTV with dual cable boxes in
January, and for some time afterward, mythbackend chose either box
first seemingly randomly; indeed, I figured the system was
intentionally designed to randomly pick a box when all else was
equal. I think, but can't be sure, that this may have changed when I
moved from 0.18.1 to 0.19. Am I imagining things, or did the codebase
change in this regard?