[mythtv-users] How do I update file size after manually transcoding?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Aug 4 05:26:46 UTC 2006

Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com> says:
> Well, I found your problem. Myth is expecting movie.mpg to be the  =
> *original* file, not a different one. It would be pretty inefficient  =
> for Myth to check file sizes *every* time we go to the details page,  =
> so it just stores it once in the database.

I understand that. Now, how do I update said field in the database?

> Try, instead, throwing your video settings into the presets for a
> transcoder, that way, Myth will chop out commercials (instead of
> re-flagging them), transcode to MPEG-4, and then replace the
> original with the transcoded version, and update the database. Myth
> isn't expecting you to go monkeying with the files manually. By
> using the Transcoder settings within Myth, you can even automate the
> process.

It's a little depressing knowing from the above that, despite spending
a fair amount of time over this past weekend writing up
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/216048#216048>,
no one actually seems to have read it.

I am quite aware of how to use the built-in system for accessing
mythtranscode, including automating it. I am also thus aware of the
current system (as of 0.19-fixes)'s pretty blatant UI limitations
regarding the ability--or lack thereof--to specify the use of a
particular transcoding profile for older recordings; thus my invoking
the process manually. What I don't know is enough SQL syntax to update
the relevant size field, thus my original question. Anyone?