[mythtv-users] Wiki Week - an appeal

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 3 20:40:43 UTC 2006

On Thursday 03 August 2006 20:26, Justin Hornsby wrote:
> > I absolutely agree.
>
> So do I !
>
> Let's not get bogged down in technicalities just yet, shall we?
>
> IMHO there is still a lot of quite basic information missing from the
> wiki, and still a fair bit of not-so-basic information missing, most
> of which would not be affected by a particular revision of MythTV.
>
> If I may cite an example..  Before the wiki came along (specifically
> the 'daily use section') I'd RTFM about editing recordings.  I tried
> and failed on many times to grasp the most basic of concepts about it
> (presumably because I thought it was a lot more complicated than it
> actually _is_ and I was blinded by that).  Anyway upon seeing the wiki
> guide, I immediately tried it out.  Success!
>
> There are some real gems in the wiki now - let's try to improve it
> _all_ for the benefit of the MythTV community :)

I am in no way saying that we should not add content, and ASAP, but here's a
suggestion:

Get the wiki content in there. Let's say that the horse has bolted on the 0.18
release, so we'll assume that if you have 0.18, it's already working and no
trouble. Great, and a lot of the content looks to focus on 0.19, so get this
current. But lets do that with the understanding that no-one goes in there
and starts updating pages with SVN, and the soon-to-be-released (please?)
0.20 content, obliterating 0.19 content.

Once the content is firmed up, the issue of multiple versions really does need
to be addressed. Either through creating version branches in the wiki (0.19,
SVN -> 0.20), or by blocking out version specific sections on individual
pages.

Having read the post by f-myth-users at media.mit.edu, I'm sorted of leaning
toward his idea of having the version branches. i.e. (I realize the URL's
might be illegal, it's just an example)

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Manual:Daily_Use
becomes
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/v0.19/User_Manual:Daily_Use
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/svn/User_Manual:Daily_Use
then, when 0.20 is released
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/svn/User_Manual:Daily_Use
is copied to
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/v0.20/User_Manual:Daily_Use

It seems that it would a quick way (if it's actually possible) of snapshotting
the wiki as it relates to a specific version.
--
Steve Boddy