[mythtv-users] Digital cable HDTV interface

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 15:12:57 UTC 2006

> What are people using for capturing digital HDTV sent over cable? I'm
> subscribed with Cogeco in Ontario, Canada (if it matters) and I'm
> quite unwilling to buy their DVR just so I can get an interface to
> their signal to hook up my own MythTV.
>
> Are there any (MythTV compatible) digital tuner cards or boxes around
> that handles a digital cable signal, can switch channels and captures
> in HD? Any caveats as far as encrypted signals or anything? Oh, and
> add to that - I'm terminally cheap. :)
>
> Thanks!

Search the archives (and the MythTV Wiki), you'll find plenty of
documentation talking about the various capture cards and how to set them
up.  Just make sure that you get a card capable of QAM reception.

Supposedly here in the U.S. (if I understand things correctly), the cable
operators are supposed to (by law) make the local stations that are
available OTA (if they are offered by the cableco) unencrypted, but I have
also heard that some people are facing a battle on that.  I have no idea
if the same rule applies in Canada.

Regardless, you will not be able to receive any encrypted channels, as
MythTV has no means of decrypting them (and MythTV doing so would be a
violation of the DMCA in the United States, there is likely a similar law
in Canada by now).

I do HDTV OTA (via an antenna) and get somewhere around 10 channels in
pretty decent quality.  Your experience over QAM should be better
(provided that the channels are there) because you don't have to worry
about antenna issues.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com