[mythtv-users] Automatically Removing Commercials

Zach White zwhite-mythtv at darkstar.frop.org
Wed Aug 2 08:55:12 UTC 2006

Hello Everyone,

Tonight I setup mythtv to automatically flag, copy to a cutlist, and
transcode in order to remove commercials from a recording. The reason
I did this is that I often use MythWeb to play videos on my powerbook
using mplayer and to download videos to my office desktop. Since I
only have 256k outbound I can't run mythfrontend there.

It has worked for me so far by invoking it once on an already selected
recording and I've just made sure it works on a scheduled recording.
However, this is the extent of my testing so far.

I've written up my configuration on the wiki, in the Removing Commercials
article. You can find that here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Removing_Commercials

I'd like to hear about others' experience with this setup, to ensure that
it works as widely as possible and is reliable. In order to use this you
must be running the 0.20 branch from SVN. I'm using revision 10665
currently, but any recent revision should work.

-Zach