[mythtv-users] DVB-S cards

NINjak ninjak at ss-nl.com
Tue Aug 1 12:45:45 UTC 2006

Hi Jelle and Morten,

Sorry I have no answers for your questions, I wish I had because i'm
thinking about building a mythtv setup for myself with 2 DVB-S cards in it
so i can watch AND record at the same time.

The questions I had and have are:
1) Does a CAM with smartcard really work in a pci DVB-S card setup with
mythtv/linux? When the answer is yes: wich DVB-S card should I get.
2) If I put 1 CAM with smartcard in a CI slot can I share that one
(through software) so the other DVB-S card doesn't need one.

I know that DUOLABS got a DIABLO CAM and with a base station you can
(home)share your cams and smartcards (up to 6) but this is a expensive
solution so maybe other options maybe "better" then just a pc with a
mythtv setup. In europe there are not much FTA channels you realy want to
watch. As an example here in the Netherlands you NEED a smartcard to just
watch the (normal) dutch channels.

If someone can point us to the right direction.... thnx in advance.

> Hello Morten,
>
> I have spent the last couple of months trying to get decoding of Canal
Digitaal (Dutch pay-TV on Astra 19.2E) to work. So far no luck. FTA
channels
> work fine. So far I have tried using a KNC1 DVB-S (rev2) with CineView
CI
> module and the Twinhan 1030A DVB-S adapter. As CAMs I have tried the
Canal
> Digitaal media guard CAM and the Aston 1.07 CAM. All on MythTV SVN
r10200,
> Fedora Core 4 and it's 2.6.16 kernel.
> A friend of mine is using a Hauppauge Nova with CI. Again FTA works
fine,
> but we couldn't get pay-TV to work.
> Somehow I can't figure out what patches to use. For the Twinhan there
must
> be HLCI patches available, but it's not clear to me whether these are
present in recent SVN checkouts or how to apply them. The relationship
between MythTV and Linuxtv's DVB drivers is also not totally clear to
me.

> All in all an interesting challenge. If someone on this list has
pointers
> move us forward, please let us know.
>
> Regards,
>

> Jelte
>
> On 7/31/06, Morten Rønseth <morten.ronseth at webfx.no> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I've been thinking of replacing my 3 PVR-150 tuners with DVB-S cards.
Are there any caveats I should be aware of?