[mythtv-users] best mythtv distro?

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Wed Apr 19 12:18:51 UTC 2006

On 4/19/06, Timothy Waters <timothy.waters at gmail.com> wrote:
> What distro do you all think is the best for running MythTV on? Yes, I know
> it's usually not the distro but the geek that makes the difference, well, in
> some cases maybe so, however in others that's just rubbish. So, again: what
> is the best distro for running MythTV on? Here is the box it's going to stay
> running on:
> AMD Athlon 2100XP 1.67Ghz
> 256MB RAM
> 20GB & 80GB HDD
> DVD+/-RW + DL

Some candidates are:
- Fedora Core with atrpms and Jarod Wilsons guide
- KnoppMyth
- MythDora
- AMICUS
You should notice the following issues:
- Jarod Wilsons guide does go into details with several different
kinds of hardware. Some of his notes can also be used on other
distributions. But for a beginner his notes are most valuable on
Fedora Core.
- KnoppMyth is born with extra modules such as MythBurn and
MythStreamTV. I have been able of installing MythBurn on Fedora Core,
but I have not yet succeeded in installing MythStreamTV on Fedora
Core. I think MythDora also has some of these modules installed.
- There are a number of repositories with Fedora compatible packages
available in case you want to install other applications. I do not
know if that is the case for KnoppMyth. MythDora is based on Fedora
Core, so that should be covered too.
- I have the impression that atrpms has new versions of MythTV
compiled earlier than KnoppMyth or MythDora has, but that can of
course be different with each release.

Niels Dybdahl