[mythtv-users] What should be the minimum video card memory I should look?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Apr 18 21:25:19 UTC 2006

Niels Dybdahl wrote:
> Most LCD TVs will scale the input from the HDMI while they will not
> scale input from a VGA, so you could get better picture via VGA than
> HDMI.

If you think about it, you'll realize that an LCD TV will have to scale
the VGA input anyway, since it's an inherently analog signal (unless
it's smart enough to divine where the video card divides between
pixels). The VGA scanlines may be mapped directly to panel lines, but
the TV isn't going to know exactly where columns start and end.

Specifically, my cheap LCD TV has composite, SVideo, component, VGA, and
DVI inputs and always scales them all. It has a VGA autofit button,
which works, but is annoying because you have to do that every time you
turn the thing on. On the other hand, the DVI modes I'm using fit pretty
well since I tweaked them with xvidtune; the TV doesn't even know what
the mode is; it just spits the pixels up there, which is why it would
make more sense if it didn't scale the image.

I wish I could get it to turn off the scaler, since mapping pixel to
pixel is one of the main reasons to for the existence of DVI. Also, I
know that the native resolution is 1366x768, as many LCD TVs are, but
video cards don't like modes with dimensions that aren't divisible by 8,
so I have to use 1360x768 or 1368x768. Since those are so close, the
pixels almost line up. If I move an xterm horizontally, I can see about
five vertical "stripes" across the screen where columns of pixels from
the video card bleed into each other, but between those regions, they
appear to match exactly.

Jonathan Rogers