[mythtv-users] Help: Disable X & Edit X config

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 19:39:10 UTC 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:00:56 -0600
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Help: Disable X & Edit X config

On Apr 18, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Travis N wrote:

> I am new to linux & myth, but at one point successfully had both functioning.  In my blind
> attempts to get the S-video out hooked up to my TV, I changed my X config file to force
> S-video out.  This was successful, but the HorizSync setting seems to be set wrong, as the
> output image seems to be smeared across/around the screen horizontally.  Now when I plug
> my monitor into the VGA connection, it will no longer output to the monitor and I cannot see
> what is on the TV in order to log in and modify the config file in KDE.
>
> I am guessing that I have to prevent X from booting, and edit this file from outside of KDE
> somehow, but have no idea of how to do it (s-video works great until X loads)..  basic
> step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Also, if someone could direct me to the appropriate config settings (HorizSync) for a
> run-of-the-mill 27" RCA TV (NTSC), that would also be greatly appreciated.

Been there.  Several times.

Hopefully, you made a backup copy of the xorg.conf file before you
made changes.  If so, then you simply need to copy your backup version
over top of the new.

You don't specify which distro you are using.  Most newbies use Fedora
(thanks to Jarrod's great instructions) or KnoppMyth.  Since I am
using Fedora, I'll give you instructions for it. (I'm not home, so I
am working from memory here, please forgive me if my memory fails me.)

1. Boot your system.
2. After it appears to have fully booted.  Press ALT-F1.
   (This will get you into a character-based terminal session.  )
3. Login and then become superuser.
4. cd /etc/X11
5.cp xorg.conf.bak xorg.conf
   (substitutute the filename you used for your backup file)
6. init 3 && init 5
   (this will force X to restart)

Hope this helps.

Tom