[mythtv-users] *Performance* of LiveTV auto recording?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Apr 18 17:28:36 UTC 2006

On Tue Apr 18, 2006 at 08:11:16PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to disable LiveTV's auto recording.  Well, I found
> this LOONG thread, but the only thing discussed was the problem with
> disk space required by LiveTV.
>
> I don't care about disk space.  My reason is performance.  I don't have too
> fast a system (P3/800), and watching LiveTV already gulps about 180 MB of
> memory and about 30-50% of CPU.  I have done no measurements, but I suspect a
> non-trivial part of that is due to disk-I/O (yes, DMA is enabled).
>
> I'd argue the performance would be higher (significantly so?  I
> hope..) if you could just watch the DVB stream instead of
> unnecessarily "swapping" it to disk first.
>
> Thoughts?

Firstly - I'd be surprised if disk I/O is making a signiicant impact
(unless you're swapping as well).  Check the hdparm values for the disk
and see how they compare to others posted here and elsewhere to see
whether there's any issues there.

Secondly - what you're after is totally outside of mythTV - there's
really no way you're going to get LiveTV to function without writing
anything to disk.  This negates all the features of a PVR system.  What
you're better doing is adding a menu entry (or hotkey) to call an
external program to watch TV directly (xawtv, mplayer, xine, etc).
You'll need to make sure that MythTV doesn't have the tuners locked (a
configurable setting IIRC) and that there's no upcoming recordings in
the meantime though.

HTH,
        Robin
--